I know this post is going to make me sound ugly and mean…but that is not my intention. I know you are all very curious about the foster children’s history and background that we have in our home. Up until this point we never really discussed if we would make this information public knowledge. We have made it public knowledge (not on the internet), and I believe we were wrong in doing so. Little Bit’s past is her past…not OURS. First off, we aren’t given very much information in the first place, BUT what information we are given shouldn’t be ours to share. Here’s why.
- What is it profiting you to know her background?
- Those are her parent’s sins/problems/issues, not hers.
- It shouldn’t define her.
- I don’t want anyone to judge her for the things her parent’s have done.
- If we adopt future children, and you know their story, it will always be in your mind.
- I don’t want my kids to have to live with that past following them around.
- What matters are these children’s futures.
- It should be confidential.
- Maybe they don’t know what has happened to them, and the best time and place for us to tell them is not in front of you.
- It’s our decision as their parents and we have to do what we feel is best.
This post is not targeted at one or two people. Seriously, I think everyone has asked us about her. I know no one means harm. I know it’s all curiosity, or just the fact that you don’t know what to say to us. That’s kinda the first question that comes to everyone’s mind.
If you have questions about foster care we would love to share information with you, we still don’t feel our children’s personal backgrounds is relevant. If you take the 10 week foster care classes you will hear about a variety of cases that you might see and be involved in.
We are not mad or upset at anyone and we totally understand why you ask. But please for the future, help us avoid an uncomfortable situation and don’t ask. Especially in front of our children.