So, I’ve had a few inquires about switching to natural cleaners and the such. With foster babies on the way we had to lock up all our chemicals. I started thinking, “why are we locking these up? why do we even have dangerous chemicals”? So, we decided to try to live without all the cleaners and chemicals (they are linked to infertility too).
First off, if you have a house-full of chemicals let me advise you to use up what you have first. It’s dangerous to pour out old chemicals in the sink and also to dispose of them in the trash. Just use what you’ve got and then when you run out you can make the switch. I’m going to try and cover everything, and if you have any questions please post them at the end of this post. 🙂
- toilet cleaner – i still use bleach
- kid’s toys – i also soak them in highly diluted bleach..in the tub
- grout and tile cleaner– mix 2 cups of hot water, 2 tbs of natural dish soap (7th generation), 1 cup of vinegar (i scrub everything down with a heavy duty magic eraser dipped in the mixture, then use a toothbrush to clean the grout)
- you can use the above mixture to wash down your sink and toilet too.
- floors– hot water out of my shark steam mop. ( i usually spray around the toilet with a natural disinfectant which you can purchase at target)
- kitchen countertops– i spray with a natural disinfectant, then sprinkle baking soda on any stains, rub-in with a dish cloth.
- stainless steel and glass/mirrors/windows– vinegar and water
- air freshener– i fill an empty spray bottle with distilled water and then add essential oils like sweet orange, bergamot, patchouli. i spray our bed, the dogs bed, and the bathroom with this. so fresh!
- laundry detergent– recipe below…i also add 3tbs of Oxi-Clean
- dishwasher detergent– we haven’t switched yet, i just use the little Cascade packs.
Beauty and Skincare
- deodorant – i use the Thai Stone (i recently found out you have to rub it under your pits for 30 seconds (each pit) for it to work and of course it has to be wet). i REALLY like the one I MAKE. i don’t really measure, but i will tell you what i “think” is in it.
First make sure you have an empty d.o. canister. Then get out a boiler/pot. You will need.
- natural bee’s wax
- natural shea butter
- organic coconut oil
- baking soda
- essential oils (optional)
I bought my shea butter and bee’s wax online at Amazon. You can buy them in small quantities. Your shea butter will be yellow and creamy, but not super soft.
Cut off a tbs or so of your bee’s wax. Chop it up small so it will melt faster. Throw that in. (bee’s wax is NOT essential, but I have found it makes your d.o. more firm. mine tends to melt in our bathroom) Next, scoop out a couple tbs of shea butter. You are going to want your heat on low. Do not scald your ingredients, you just want them to melt and mix together. Then I put in a tbs or two of the coconut oil. Mix well. Add an 1/8 of a cup of baking soda and maybe 3 tbs of cornstarch. (as you can tell, i don’t have this to a science, but all the ingredients seem to fit perfectly in my d.o. tube) Lastly add your essential oils. Just 5 or so drops will do. There you have it!
I don’t sweat as much and I never smell when I wear it. This is TMI, but I’m a huge sweater! Since I’ve switched to all natural deodorants I barely sweat. It’s amazing. Also, side note you might be wondering why I would make my own natural deodorant when you can just buy one. #1 natural deodorants don’t ever work for me #2 some have artificial fragrance #3 some are made with propylene glycol which is by-product of gasoline and I prefer it not to be on my body!
Another note about the natural d.o. it only takes a little. Just rub it on up and down once and then smooth with your fingers. You might find you only need to use it every other day. Also, if your pits feel sensitive, you might need to use less baking soda. The d.o. is kinda gritty, so this can irritate sensitive skin.
- shampoos and soaps– i try to buy only all natural handmade bar soap, or Dr. Bronners. for my shampoo i just look for hair products with out sulfates, silicon, and parabens. THIS CAN BE A GREAT CHALLENGE. i honestly haven’t found anything we are in love with. there is a Crabtree and Evelyn Shampoo and Conditioner made with Olive Oil and Avocado that i have samples of from a hotel. i wash my bangs with it a lot and really do like it. it has no sulfates or parabens.
- shaving cream– i use an all natural conditioner that i got from T.J. Maxx. no more itchy dry legs!
- haircare– for frizzy hair i use Argan Oil and lots of it! it doesn’t make my hair oily. i also use a lot of dry shampoo so i don’t have to wash my hair as much. the less washing the better!
- body scrub- depending on how large my jar is i mix equal parts Dead Sea Salt (you can use Sea Salt or coarse salt depending on the exfoliation you want) to Organic Coconut Oil (or EVOO) and then add in essential oils. there is no need to put lotion on after your bath because your skin is SO smooth and soft.
- teeth whitening toothpaste- 2 tbs of baking soda, 1 tbs of Coconut Oil, add water until you get the consistency you like, peppermint essential oil or i like to use Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Soap. to boost the effects, you could splash your brush with peroxide beforehand. also, this recipe is semi-abrasive and is suggested for use only twice a week.
- yeast infections/rashes/sore muscles/eczema/psoriasis/shingles- i am in no way stating this as a “cure”, but i have found that soaking in Dead Sea Salt relieves a lot of these issues. if you are looking for salt straight from the Dead Sea with no gimmicks, i sell it through Aviv International. she is in Anniston, AL and has all of her Dead Sea salt, mud, brine, etc shipped to her then she formulates her products right here in Alabama! the salt that i soak in is just straight salt from the Dead Sea. you can purchase 2 lbs for $10. this salt would be great to put in your own scrubs and soaps! let me know if you are interested and i can get you some samples! she also has loads of other Dead Sea products! you can find her on facebook here.
- heartburn- papaya tablets (can get these in the pharmacy part of Wal-Mart)
If you have any other natural remedies to share please do! I would love for someone to send me one for health care. Natural herbs and such for medicine. I am very concerned about this since we will be adding children to our home in the near future. I don’t want to dose them up with tylenol and other drugs with scary side effects.